Friday, November 30, 2007

Dawn Raid: Dart

There's something about a dawn raid, is it the pay off for getting up early, is it the getting it all to yourself, or is it just something to do with being out and about as the sun comes up? I don't know. But I do know that whatever it is it's a great feeling. I've made a few dawn raids this year, board surfing at Constantine, kayak surfing at Bantham, wave ski surfing at Saunton, and some playboat missions on various spots locally, and they've all been great. The gamble of will there waves/water? will I make it back to work on time? all paying off. The thrill of being one of the only people at the break, or queuing in the eddy, knowing that there's more than enough to go round. I really just can't describe it, its something spine tinglingly good, that always makes the effort feel more than worth while.

The go-pro doesn't really like low light, but the water was just lapping onto the slab, honest!


And that's how it was when I pulled up at Newbridge in the fast approaching dawn. The water level great, just starting to wash onto the ledge. Top wave would just about be working, it was just a shame I didn't have time to get to Triple Three, that would have been perfect. But beggars can't be choosers, and a dawn raid on a small top wave before dashing back to work was way better than nothing.



It may not be a ripping ride, but it was better than no paddling!

Hopefully there'll be more water, or possibly surf (or even both!) this weekend, and I'll be able to get out for some more fun.

No comments: