Sunday, March 15, 2009

My latest new toy

For years I've wanted a squirt boat, after trying one out in the warm waters of the south of France. For those that don't know about squirt boats, here's a quick run down. Squirt boats are generally made to measure, with just enough volume to be neutrally buoyant when on the water. This means that they are fairly easy to do flat water tricks like cartwheels and pirouettes, but they can also be used to tap into all the energy in eddy lines to make what are known as mystery moves, where the entire kayak disappears underwater. About 8 years ago I had an enigma plastic squirt boat, but it wasn't the real thing, and I didn't use it much, so I sold it. A few chances to get a real squirt boat have passed me by, but I never took them. I first came across this boat about five years ago, when it had been lent to a friend, and I found it fitted me perfectly. But the owner wanted it back and off it went.


My new Bigfoot squirt boat



Then I got a message from my friend Small Robin telling me that there might be a squirt boat available, and when he told me where it was I realised that it was the boat I had tried 5 years before! When I contacted the owner he said he was happy to give it away if it meant that it was being used! So my Squirt Karma is off to a good start. Now I just need the clocks to change and the river Exe to drop so I can start some after work squirt paddling!


Me, five years ago Squirting at RDCP


No comments: