Sunday, March 15, 2009

Harlyn Surf action

I managed to score some more Cornish surf gold this week. With a stiff looking southerly wind I headed to Harlyn to find some clean waves. Once again my efforts were rewarded. I arrived right around low tide, when the waves at Harlyn never look quite as good as they can. So I unpacked the Big Camera and Long lens and tried my best to take some good photos. I got some half decent results.


A small wave throws a lip



As I watched the surf started to get bigger, and the wind stronger, so I headed back to the van, got geared up and hit the water. The waves were classic Harlyn, jacking up fast, going hollow, and then racing away lightning fast, sectioning, or just closing out, all in water about three feet deep!



Another grinding hollow Harlyn wave


The waves kept me on my toes, and while I got my Arse handed to me a couple of times, I also got a couple of really good rides. It was also good to test out my new fins. For years I have just been using cheap plastic fins, that break regularly and flex all over the place. So I finally splashed out and got some good Glass fins. I really noticed the difference, they gave me loads more drive, and grip, which was good when I needed to gun along a wave to out run the section!

The mighty Rush 7'2", and my new fins



No comments: